Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sleepless in Singapore

I've traveled through Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Dhaka and Singapore in eight days. I've discovered that eventually one's body stops trying to figure out time zones. An interesting way of dealing with jet lag. There are so many feelings, thoughts, emotions, observations...I feel overwhelmed. I haven't been to South or Southeast Asia in a long time. Madison Avenue and Wall Street now seem to be Asian addresses, yet there remains a certain respect or attachment for distinctly Asian ways--especially now as the world watches the US with bated breath.

I just re-experienced a tropical rain storm. It was quite something seeing the dark, gray clouds eventually encompass the impressive Singaporean skyline. As if nature wanted to remind us that she continues to have dominion. The sound of thunder and raindrops flowing through leaves and bouncing off concrete, steel and glass had a lyrical feel. It was almost enough to make me fall asleep.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.