Saturday, July 05, 2008

Diversity in Japan

The Japan Times is one of the English newspapers in this country. Its motto is "All the News Without Fear or Favor". The front page on Sunday, July 6 has articles about the upcoming G-8 summit in Japan, Pakistan's nuclear program, Iran's nuclear program, Robert Mugabe, and Nathan's annual hot dog eating contest in Coney Island. Apparently, an American named Joey Chestnut defeated "celebrated Japanese rival" Takeru Kobayashi. I guess that's an accurate description given that Kobayashi has won the event six times. It's interesting to note the Japanese-specific elements in the newspaper (for example, a cartoon featuring a sumo wrestler). But it's equally interesting to note the common themes of surging gas prices, sagging economic times, and concerns about health care (and, given today's headlines, nuclear proliferation).

There's also an interesting interview with David Peace, an English author who lives in Tokyo. He does not believe in the "myth of one Japanese mind, as if everyone's got f**king ESP or something." He also states: "And yet there's 120 million people in this country, and I've been here 14 years and every single person I've met has been a unique individual." Good point. I suppose making inferences or assertions about Japan based on Tokyo would be like making inferences or assertions about the US based on New York. Make that Manhattan. Tokyo has a population of over 12 million people. Today, I managed to encounter some of the diversity of its people--because my computer crashed.

My wife believes that I can't cope without being on my computer for any length of time. Perhaps she's right. I did feel a sense of deep frustration. The disorientation combined with the loss of my "self" as captured by my computer was too much to take. The hotel concierge kindly pointed out the nearest Apple Store in Shibuya, noting it on a map. The taxi driver didn't exactly know where to take me. When I realized he was just stopping randomly, I said, "OK...here" I think he was relieved. I showed my map to one man who walked with me for some time before pointing down a street. Another man helped me until I found myself in the Apple Store, which looked like any other Apple Store. Eventually, I found myself at the Genius Bar with a man who spoke fluent English and told me confidently he would fix my computer. He also told me it would take an hour or so.

I walked out of the store, looked out on the street, and randomly chose to go right. I saw a Denny's! I've never seen a Denny's outside the US. I was sorry not to have my camera because one of my good friends would really enjoy seeing Denny's in Japanese. As I kept walking, I heard music. Not the music on the radio, but live music. I entered a park where several individuals were playing music. All kinds of music. Even what sounded like country songs with Japanese lyrics. A little further along the path, I was in the middle of an arts and crafts fair. There were items from all over the world. I also noted booths for Amnesty International, green energy, "Radio freedom", and free trade exchanges.

And there were people dressed in every imaginable way, laughing, sitting together, drinking together. They would smile at me when I would look at them. These folks were not self conscious. They were being themselves and enjoying it. I should not be surprised that some people in Japan care about many of the same things that I care about. I am glad that I encountered these folks during my visit.

When I returned to the Apple store, the genius (yes, I was ready to call him that) had fixed my computer. I asked him if there was a charge for his work. He replied, "Of course not...enjoy your stay in Tokyo". He said it to be friendly, not just polite.

I've never been so pleased that my computer crashed.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.