Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Question of Priorities

ABC showed the first two games of day two, but the afternoon game will be on ESPN. Why? Because of the Belmont Stakes. When I told one of my friends that this is another sign of the US's lack of appreciation for soccer, he pointed out that the Belmont is one of the three Triple Crown races, a big deal. He said that this is important regardless of what type of sports fan I might be. Sure, the Belmont Stakes is important...if you're a horse.

Another (what I admit is an) even more important question of priorities relates to a phone call from my lovely wife just as the first game was ending. She told me that's a beautiful day outside. I told her that I could see how beautiful it was because I had a view of the TV and the windows in our living room. She suggested that we eat lunch together, outside to enjoy the weather. When I tell her that the next game will begin soon, she asks "Is that a big deal?" Is that a big deal? Do horses care about the Belmont Stakes?

Understanding that I need to maintain human relationships, even during The World Cup, I agree to have a wonderful lunch with her. I realize that perhaps I shouldn't subject my mom to soccer while she's visiting me. Then I realize that DVR is a godsend, and that I can probably deal with watching part of the Sweden v. Trinidad and Tobago recorded. Then again, that game turned out to be a great example of how you never know when World Cup history will be made...

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.